Cardiff Bay Surgery (Main Site)

Butetown Surgery (Branch site )

Complaints policy

What should you do if  you want to complain about any aspect of care you have received by the practice.

The NHS Wales operates an independent process for raising concerns and complaints called ‘Putting Things Right’ More information on the ‘Putting Things Right’ process can be found here.

Under Putting Things Right you can  complain about any aspect of the services provided by our GP practice.

We take complaints very seriously and adhere to the NHS Complaints procedure.

If you are not happy with the service provided then please raise it with the Practice Manager / Coordinator at the Main Surgery by telephone, writing or in person within 12  months of the incident or problem occurring. Alternatively, if you do not wish to give your name and address, please use the suggestion box in Reception. Every effort will be made to answer your concerns as soon as possible.

What we will do

We will acknowledge your complaint within 2 working days and aim to have looked at the complaint within 20 working days of the date when you raised it with us. We will then be in a position to offer you an explanation. When we look into your complaint we will aim to:

  • Find out what happened and what went wrong.
  • Make it possible for you to discuss the problem with those concerned if you would like this.
  • Make sure you receive an apology where this is appropriate.
  • Identify what we can do to make sure the problem does not happen again.

If you remain dissatisfied you may apply for an independent review of your complaint. The complaints manager at the Business Centre at Cardiff and Vale  Unoversity Health Board  will be able to give you more information about the next steps.

In such circumstances you should contact:

  • Cardiff Business Service Centre
  • Churchill House
  • Churchill Way
  • Cardiff
  • CF10 2TW
  • Tel: 029 2037 6820

For further advice you may wish to contact the Community Health Council for free help and advice. Their details are:

  • Cardiff Community Health Council
  • Ground floor, Park House
  • Greyfriars Road
  • Cardiff
  • CF10 3AF
  • Tel: 02920 377 407
  • Fax: 02920 665 470

If you are still  not satisfied with the final response to your complaint, you can address your complaint directly to the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales. The Ombudsman is independent of all government bodies and the service provided is impartial and free of charge. You can find out more about the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales by viewing the website of The Public Service Ombudsman for Wales.

Complaining on behalf of someone else

Please note that we keep strictly to the rule of medical confidentiality. If you are complaining on behalf of someone else, we have to know that you have permission to do so. A note signed by the person concerned will be needed, unless they are incapable (because of illness) of providing it.